Friday, February 12, 2021

Skinny Pop Popcorn

Update Review, November 2020

I've reviewed Skinny Pop popcorn before (original reviewupdate review), generally kinda lackluster for me, because, although I adore popcorn, and have a serious obsession to be honest, Skinny Pop trends too boring for me, because, well, it is trying to be healthier than the style I prefer.  Gulp.

But when the holidays rolled around in 2020, and I didn't have access to my precious favorite decadent kettle corns due to COVID ... I gave them another try, as the seasonal flavors were all over the grocery stores.
Seasonal Gingerbread Cookie Kettle Corn.
For the holidays, Skinny Pop, like most brands, introduced some seasonal varieties, but, of course, a healthier slant on them.

Skinny Pop went for a White Chocolate Peppermint variety, and Gingerbread Cookie.  I was interested in the White Chocolate Peppermint, but so many other brands were offering it, I decided to get a different brand White Chocolate Peppermint (Hammonds, and it was MEH!), and opted for the more unique Gingerbread Cookie from Skinny Pop.
Seasonal Gingerbread Cookie Kettle Corn.
"Guilt-free snacking that’s merry & bright."

It was decent. 

Like other varieties, the popcorn tasted fresh, large fluffy kernels.  While marketed as kettle corn, I didn't get much "kettle corn" essence to it, not really caramelized nor salty, but, it did have a sweetness.  It was well spiced, tasting vaguely of gingerbread actually, some cinnamon, some other "warm" spices - ginger, allspice, cloves.

It was definitely interesting, a nice change, but as expected, not the more decadent style I normally go for (not that it is bad for me to have a lighter style on hand, and I did pick "Skinny Pop" after all!)  You certainly need to be in the mood for gingerbread flavors, which is not common for me, but when the mood hits, this does really hit the spot.

***+.

Update Review 2019

As I mentioned in my review of the chocolate variety, Skinny Pop is really not my style of popcorn, as, uh, its too healthy.  But I had a chance to try a few more flavors, so I gave it another chance.

Conclusion?  Yup, still bo-ring.
Original.
First up, the "Original", just salted popcorn.  This was as basic as popcorn gets, but, nicely popped, good salt level?  Not sure why anyone would feel the need to actually purchase this though.
White Cheddar.
"Guilt-free snacking with a dairy-free white cheddar flavor."

Next I tried to get some flavor by opting for a cheesy variety.

Skinny Pop makes two different cheddar popcorn flavors.  One is "Aged White Cheddar", with a "Real Cheese" label prominently displayed on the bag.  The other is "White Cheddar".  It ... is dairy free.  Dairy free cheese?

A quick glance at the ingredients doesn't help that much ... "non-dairy cheddar flavor" and rice flour are added, along with the expected oil and salt, but, what is that, exactly?

It turns out to be, well, vaguely very mild cheddar flavored something.  The salt flavor was stronger than the cheddar, and I'm pretty sure that if you didn't tell me the popcorn was supposed to be cheddar, I likely would have not suspected it.

It was fine, light popcorn, but I go for cheesier varieties.

Original Review, March 2017

Healthy snacks?  Yup, something I'm always in the market for, given how much I like to snack.  And popcorn?  My favorite.  So I basically try any new popcorn I discover.

Skinny Pop is another line of healthy popcorn, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, preservative free, no artificial flavors, etc, etc.  They use sunflower oil.  They produce 6 flavors of popcorn, savory original, sea salt & pepper, white cheddar, and jalapeƱo, and sweet "naturally sweet" and dusted dark chocolate.
Dusted Dark Chocolate.
"Guilt-free snacking with just the right amount of dark chocolate flavor."

I went for the dark chocolate flavor, and was pretty disappointed when I opened the bag.  It was ... well, dusted with cocoa powder, not covered in chocolate.  Which, to be fair, is exactly what they said it would be.  But I wanted dessert popcorn, not healthy snack popcorn.

Once I got over my initial visual disappointment, I tried a bite.  It was a bit strange, really.  Just a touch of cocoa flavor on otherwise buttery popcorn.  Salty, but not sweet.  And chocolately?  It was ok, but, the flavors just were not very intense.  Meh.  I threw it in the freezer.

The freezer did manage to crisp it up a bit, but, the flavor still never intensified.  If you want a very light, very subtle, chocolate experience, then perhaps this is for you, but for me, it just wasn't enough.

1 comment:

  1. Check out our snack size popcorn that delivers a lasting taste of popcorns that keep you satisfied while having fun. Order online for your favorite snacks today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails